Friday, December 5, 2008
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree!
So Tuesday evening, we decided to put up our tree. It normally would have been done on Saturday, but traveling and a messy living room made me put it off till Tuesday. However, everyone was looking forward to putting the tree up. I think Chris and I should have planned our "family moment" a little better, because it seemed like the first hour as we assembled the tree, fluffed the tree, lighted the tree, etc. we we continually snapping at Eden and Eli. "Don't touch that!", "Not yet", "Be patient", "We'll get to it!" They were so excited and we kept dampening their excitement. Not to mention we had to take several time outs and keep Tobe out of the way as well. (He army crawls everywhere!). But even with mine and Chris' initial frustrations, the kids LOVED hanging their ornaments. They each have several of their own given to them by loved ones. And they hung them all at their own eye level. I had to save a few back so the tree would not be bare at the top. For the first time, it did not bother me that the tree wasn't pretty or themed. Instead it is eclectic and was put together with eyes of wonder. Eli even said it was "going to be the best Christmas ever!" That is a tribute to his Uncle Brent's optimism at the beginning of each holiday season. My brother would say this each and every holiday and Heather and I would just laugh. But the other day I could not help but smile when Eli said it. I am so glad that my kids are beginning to understand how special the holidays are and are ready to experience happy traditions with our family. Next year Chris and I will simply do the hard stuff while everyone is asleep and leave the decorating to the kiddos.
Labels:
Christmas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amber-I am sure you and Chris are amazing parents! They couldn't help but have a blast putting the tree together! How old is Eden? She is growing so fast! Wow...wish I could see you!!! We need a reunion!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like Christmas in most families with little ones. Our Kloe is the one that has the most patience with the process. We had a good time this year as well with the whole experience. Enjoy it while it is still enjoyable, it goes pretty quickly. Todd
ReplyDelete