Chris and I got the opportunity to get away for a week (March 2022). It was such a fantastic time of rest and refreshment that the two of us have not experienced in a long time.....it also happened to be during our 23rd wedding anniversary. [Obviously, the 23rd anniversary usually isn't a "big" anniversary---but on our 20th we were just returning to FCC and had no means and time to go on such a trip.]
We took a road trip along the Pacific Northwest coast and enjoyed God's creation from the mighty redwoods to the rocky shoreline to the serene ocean waters and all of it was just awesomely beautiful. We both were awestruck.
However, in some remote parts we were unable to get any radio stations and we weren't prepared with a whole lot of downloads. So as soon as we got to a place where we could, we decided to download a few marriage podcasts to listen to. We didn't take too much time finding the perfect one, so as we started listening we both were encouraged that our marriage had never been to the point of the couples in the podcast (and these were Christian leaders/ministers). I don't say that to brag, nor do I say it to claim we have a perfect marriage. (Believe me, we don't!). But I do say it out loud here, so that I don't take it for granted. I am grateful for how Chris loves me far better than I often deserve.
So I bought this little souvenir on the trip to remind me of our marriage, our 23 years so far, and to reflect on the fact that because we both have Christ as our anchor of hope that it makes our marriage work better. Again, I know even Christian marriages are not void of rocky waters and storms, but am so grateful I can be so secure in our relationship because of who Chris is in Christ. Because of that our marriage is anchored and strong and because of that, I am grateful.
A few scriptures my bracelet brings to mind:
Mark 10:8-9 "and the two are united into one. Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together. "
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better for a triple braided cord is not easily broken."
Hebrews 6:16-19 "Now when people take an oath, they call on someone greater than themselves to hold them to it. And without any question that oath is binding. God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls..."
Chris and I took an oath 23 years ago and Christ, our Anchor, is holding us to it. He is strong and trustworthy, both for our two individual souls and for our one marriage.






No comments:
Post a Comment