God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Followers

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Smell those feet!

Last Friday Eden and I went to Six Flags, just the two of us. We had lots of fun. It was nice to go with her and do the slides, wave pool, and rides that she can do and her brothers cannot. She just loves the Tidal Wave, it was actually like 70 degrees, so rather chilly for the water rides, but that is what she wanted to do. Anyways at one point we headed to the bathroom. [Sidenote: When we go to the bathroom these days, I always make her go to the stall next to mine so we can always see each other's shoes.] But this time we actually didn't have any shoes on (although it sounds gross, it was normal at the water park). I was staring at her feet, I still knew they were her feet, but for the first time they looked HUGE! I just sat there and realized she doesn't have baby feet anymore. I probably wouldn't even pretend to smell them, like I have in the past and like I still do for Eli and Tobe (you know the "stinky toes" game). No cuteness to her feet. It made me sad to think this thought. It made me think of a book my friend gave me "Let Me Hold You Longer" by Karen Kingsbury. This book highlights some of the "lasts" we have as parents. Usually we are always documenting the firsts. First smile, first word, first step, first t-ball game, first recital, first report card, first boyfriend, etc. But we never really document the lasts. The book is a real tear jerker for moms. So that is what came to my mind. I don't remember the last time I smelled her feet and pretended she had "stinky toes" and now she and her feet are too big for that. It may help me savor each and every moment, because it may be the last time I do that game, hold that tradition, tell that joke, sing that song, give that bottle, say that prayer, smell those feet.

1 comment:

  1. oh btw, the book I mentioned is actually a children's book, not a novel like Kingsbury's normal publishings. You could read it in 5 minutes, if you don't cry.

    ReplyDelete