God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Followers

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why Ethopia???

It was November 2010 that Chris and I made the decision to adopt from Ethiopia.  We had been contemplating adoption for a while, especially since the Haiti earthquake the previous January. We had such a strong desire to adopt, but at the time we didn't necessarily meet the requirements for several countries and had after lots of prayer decided on our agency first.  Then we looked into the countries that they worked with and after more prayer and more discussion---we fell in love with Ethiopia.  It was on Thanksgiving 2010 that we told Chris' parents of our wonderful decision.

Here are reasons we fell in love with/felt the need to adopt from Ethiopia:

* There are approximately 5 million orphans in Ethiopia alone.  5 MILLION.  There are many reasons they are orphaned which includes AIDS, poverty, famine, and the effects of war.
*  Ethiopia has a rich history, including Christianity.  The majority of Ethiopians are Christian or Muslim.  We want to ensure a child being raised Christian and not Muslim, don't want to leave it to 50/50.
*The people and land of Ethiopia is beautiful.
*We are excited about teaching our biological kids how God loves and is THE hope for "all the nations".  Red, yellow, black, and white----They are precious in His sight.
*  God called us to adopt, just as He calls each one of us into adoption.  He doesn't care exactly how that is done, he just wants us to do it.  Care for orphans in whatever way you think he is leading you to do so.  For us, we saw a great need in Ethiopia.
*  We did choose international adoption over domestic for multiple reasons as well.  I know it can be a controversial subject......but basically Chris and I have been very mission minded, taking several over sea mission trips and God's people all over the world has always been on our hearts.
*Of course another small reason to adopt is if your heart is set on "little sister" or "little brother" then adoption is the only sure way to ensure a boy or girl.  :)  (Eden & I are ready to have a equal girl/boy ratio in the house).

This might seem like a weird time to tell you some of this.  Many of you may already know these reasons or statistics.  But on our 2 year "letting the cat out of the bag" anniversary....I wanted to let you in on some news.

We are still in love with Ethiopia and there is still a need.  Even though adoptions in Ethiopia have slowed down considerably (some of the reasons are good and healthy for Ethiopia; making sure the most ethical adoptions are taking place), and even though our number has literally crawled in the almost 17 months we have been on the wait list, we know that God has us where he wants us.  We are waiting on his perfect plan to unfold and learning to continually trust in Him alone.

I am not saying I am "happy go lucky" right now.  I must confess, I have recently had a few pity parties for myself and cried a few tears.  I did think [she] would be home right now.  I bought [her] Christmas gifts last year, with the idea that I wanted [her] to know we were thinking of her at Christmas.  Some of my friends have had babies (twice!) since our announcement to adopt.  So as the holidays of 2012 are upon us, do continue to pray for referrals to come in steadily, for our hearts during the holidays missing someone we haven't even met yet, and for God's perfect plan and timing to unfold when He knows we are ready, continue to pray for HOPE to all families waiting on their children and to all children waiting on their forever families.

*Again, I know that so many agencies/adoptions/processes are so vastly different.  The [she] is referring to our preference---we are requesting a girl 0-4 years.  We have not been matched with a girl yet, we don't have any idea who she is or what she looks like or how old she is, etc.  We just know we are waiting for God to put a little Ethiopian girl in our laps.

Most recently another adoptive waiting mama posted this devotion and it really encouraged me.  Hope it encourages you as well in whatever your "wait" is in or whoever your prayers/pleading is for.

                         http://www.proverbs31.org/devotions/tired-waiting-2012-11/

"My God is strong and mighty.  My God is faithful.  My hope is in the Lord, for He is able."---Mark Shultz

Thanks for listening to my sentiments!

2 comments:

  1. I love you new blog design-pretty pretty! It is so important to follow where God leads and never stray from the path He sets before us. Sometimes that road is unpopular in the eyes of the world but I have a feeling that like me, you rather be right with God than popular with the world. Take comfort in the fact that even before God created this world He knew not only you by name but all of your children's names as well. His match for you is predestined, His timing is absolutely perfect, and His love is everlasting! We must remember this at all times. We are praying along side you as we both wait for this roller coaster ride to come to a much anticipated end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber!

    I have an adoption fundraising Idea I'd like to share with you. Could you please email me at mlee@coupaide.com?

    Thanks!
    Matthew Lee

    ReplyDelete