God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Followers

Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm No Marathon Runner......or Am I?

Being that this is a family blog....I gave Chris permission to post posts if he so desired...he finally did so. (I love him & am proud to be his wife by the way!!!)

A marathon runner? No, not me. Running 26.2 miles (in a row) seems quite daunting. Although I have a few friends who have done this numerous times and enjoy it immensely, I’m not sure I will ever be up for the challenge of a run like a marathon…or am I actually running in about 4 of them as we speak?
I have struggled with being at healthy weight for years.(Insert "Fatter Than I Want To Be" by Shack) About 15 years ago, I was at a weight I wish I was at now. It has taken me 15 years to get to the unhealthy point I am right now. I have made some strides toward getting healthier in the last few years but sometimes it seems as if I’m going two steps forward and one step back. It is progress none the less, but not as fast as I would wish. Why should I be discouraged when the solution doesn’t happen over night? It took me 15 years to get here so it might take me some time to turn it around. It isn’t a sprint, it is a marathon run. I’m in it for the long haul, the long run.
I have been married to my wife for almost 12 years. She is beautiful, amazing, and my best friend. We currently have 3 kids, true blue blessings from God. I love my family. But there are times when Amber and I just aren’t connecting, the kids are running us a little ragged, and family life seems a bit crazy. We also just recently jumped in head first into the world of international adoption. Something we have prayed about for literally years. We are excited but know there are many hurdles to clear before we have a beautiful baby girl from Ethiopia in our arms. (Insert the song “Jesus Loves the Little Children” here) Even with all the excitement, it sometimes seems overwhelming; the time, the money, the unknown. I have to remember, I’m in it for the long haul, the long run. It is not a sprint in time like a few bad days, weeks, months or even a few tough years. I want to glorify God in my marriage, be the best husband I can be, show Jesus to my kids and help bring them to a saving relationship with Him. My family life is a marathon run.
Being a part of ministry is a blessing. Being able to help people come to Jesus, care for people, and help lead them in worship is great! There are times when, believe it or not, discouragement sets in. Church attendance was down one week, offering seemed a bit low, no one showed up for the event we planned, and someone is calling to let me know my choice of songs wasn’t quite their cup of tea. The church is in it for the long haul, not the short sprint from week to week. I want to be a part of what God is doing in the life of those who are in my community. None of us is perfect; we are all growing and learning, and running a marathon in ministry.
The most important race I am in is a race to eternity. New life in Christ is a race. I have to set my life and my mind on the things that are eternal and stay focused. I can get tripped up with all kinds of worldly distractions, my own sin issues, feeling discouraged or tired, but I keep running. (Insert 33miles song, “Today” here) Paul said in Hebrews 12:1-3 “Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!” (The Message) I got a feeling that if I am running THIS race focused, and on target, the other races will come along nicely.
A marathon runner? Hmmm….maybe I am. Maybe we would all do well to remember that life is a journey not a destination (insert NewFire song, “Journey” here). Let’s start and keep running!
(Sorry for all the song references, my life sometimes seems best played out in a musical)

No comments:

Post a Comment