God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Blog Archive

Followers

Sunday, October 2, 2011

31 Days....Day 2.

I chose this old font because it is a whimsical and fun font---wouldn't you agree? I mean what is not fun about "Discipline"?

So just to make sure I was on the right page I looked up the definition of the word:

dis·ci·pline.
noun \ˈdi-sə-plən\


1: punishment


2 obsolete: instruction


3 : a field of study


4: training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character


5 a: control gained by enforcing obedience or order b: orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c: self-control

6 : a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity




So just to be clear on what I struggle with is discipline as defined by self-control. Let's face it. I don't got it.

Another way I look at the term discipline is making yourself do something you don't necessarily want to do so that some day you can do things without having to make yourself---b/c it has at that point become ahabit. So questions for you my readers: What thing are you making yourself do so that at some point it will become second nature or habitual to you? And how are you making yourself do something you initially didn't want to do? Can discipline be a fun word? These are the burning questions I have--





Add Video

1 comment:

  1. To me, discipline involves a calendar and a clock. I must literally use a calendar/schedule/timer/to-do-list in order to get something done that I want or need to accomplish. I struggle with this a lot but know that in the end, after the hard part is over, the discipline has become a habit and then I can look back over the process and feel really really good about the positive change it made in my life.

    A few examples: When I was in drug sales for Alcon, I scheduled every single week, in advance, and it dictated all decisions I made regarding my work. Even now, 12 years later, I can tell you that 1st and 3rd Tuesdays I made calls on doctors in Huber Heights, Ohio. On 2nd and 4th Thursdays, I was in Troy, Ohio (only b/c there was a restaurant who served cream of portobello mushroom soup as their soup of the day ONLY on Thursdays). Evenutally all of this became a habit and I knew exactly where I was supposed to be from week to week. If a doctor wanted to meet wiht me me and he lived in Lima, Ohio, I could respond with, "I'm in Lima on Wednesdays, which one works for you"
    Anyway, I was so stinking successful Amber but due mostly in part because I-HAD-A-PLAN. (and I efficacious products to push).
    If one wants to make a positive change in their life and be SUCCESSFUL in the end a plan must be made.
    Want to eat health for health - plan out your meals, write down everything you eat, make a shopping list and stick to it.
    Want to exercise more - schedule it in and have an accountablity partner that will hold you to your plan
    Want to have more intimacy w/ your spouse - put it in your calendar.
    Want to eat out less - fix meals ahead of time so you're not caught off guard when it's 5:00 and nothing is thawed out for dinner and you wind up getting take out.
    Need more time with God - set an alarm and rise before you family so that you can devo in the morning.
    Want less time on the computer - set a timer.
    OH my goodness, the list is endless - so that is how I begin to make changes in my life.
    I'm about to make another change and need to make another change and I promise you, it will begin by "writing it down"
    Love you Amber!!!

    ReplyDelete