God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Blog Archive

Followers

Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 Days: Day 18

How to be disciplined about anything
Although some may assume the opposite to be true discipline is actually freedom. The more disciplined you are the easier it is to stay that way. Stephen Covey said “the undisciplined are slaves to moods, appetites and passions”. Self-discipline is dependent on the courage to go against your moods, appetites and passions.
It is discipline that causes you to:
*Exercise even though you are a bit tired
*Say no to another biscuit
*Get off the couch to do a task even though you don’t want to

Discipline is relevant to every area of our lives: fitness, food, habits, work,
study, housework, cooking, spirituality and hobbies. Seeing discipline in others is motivating. I love how disciplined my husband is – it’s a really attractive quality.

I remember when I was living at home and working 18 hour days, I would be up without fail at 6:30am for a run followed by loads of sit ups on my bedroom floor. It made me feel great one day when my younger sister walked past and said “gosh you are good Allison”.She was impressed that everyday I was doing my workout. I started to notice I was really disciplined. Another measure of discipline I have is on nights I’m sooooo tired and had a long day I’d rather not floss my teeth after brushing. That might sound gross, but I figure missing one day isn’t that bad. But then my disciplined mind says“it only takes two seconds - toughen up” and I do it. Then I feel chuffed for doing it, because it’s the right thing to do, even when I’d rather be lazy.

If you want to be disciplined to reach your goals spend some time figuring out the ‘why’ of your goals:
* Why do you want to achieve that particular thing?
* How will it make you feel?
* What will you gain from it?
* What will achieving it say about you?
When you have got enough ‘whys’ that really excite you discipline should come naturally. Then raise your standards. Expect more from yourself. Know you can do better and be more. When you live at the level of your new standard long enough you’ll forget about any extra effort it takes, and you will start noticing “I am disciplined”!

Posted by Allison O'Neill----find it HERE


Do you have enough "whys"? I thought that was a very interesting point.

I've always said--I guess I don't want to lose weight because otherwise I would do it. I would want to do the things that would help me lose weight. Therefore, I must not really want it as bad as I think I do. Guess I don't have enough "whys" yet. Something to think about......

No comments:

Post a Comment