God's Word:

God's Word:

Count Your Blessings

Count Your Blessings

Blog Archive

Followers

Sunday, October 30, 2011

31 Days: Day 30/31

S0...I will be hanging out with my family tomorrow evening for Harvest Night, thus bringing me to my last post of the month.  Obviously, I didn't have 31 posts....I did post 58% of the days (academically that is still an F---but mathematically it is at least the majority of the month).  So for now, I will lay down the "discipline" posts for a bit and either practice what I preach or stop being so hard on myself and my lack of discipline.  But speaking of Harvest Night---I came across this verse tonight:  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.   Hebrews 12:11


I also came across this definition of discipline that I hadn't necessarily thought of from American Heritage Dictionary:  A state of order based on submission to rules and authority.  So I am most excited to share how I am disciplined or where I see discipline in my life: I have submitted to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and have a persevering obedience of faith in Him since age 11 and due to this disciplined lifestyle of faith I will win a crown of glory and live eternally!  I am running the race! And will await the best possible result/reward from any type of discipline.

Excerpt from Matthew Henry's Commentary on Hebrews 12: The persevering obedience of faith in Christ, was the race set before the Hebrews, wherein they must either win the crown of glory, or have everlasting misery for their portion; and it is set before us. By the sin that does so easily beset us, understand that sin to which we are most prone, or to which we are most exposed, from habit, age, or circumstances. This is a most important exhortation; for while a man's darling sin, be it what it will, remains unsubdued, it will hinder him from running the Christian race, as it takes from him every motive for running, and gives power to every discouragement. When weary and faint in their minds, let them recollect that the holy Jesus suffered, to save them from eternal misery. By stedfastly looking to Jesus, their thoughts would strengthen holy affections, and keep under their carnal desires. Let us then frequently consider him. What are our little trials to his agonies, or even to our deserts? What are they to the sufferings of many others? There is a proneness in believers to grow weary, and to faint under trials and afflictions; this is from the imperfection of grace and the remains of corruption. Christians should not faint under their trials..............But the Father of our souls never willingly grieves nor afflicts his children. It is always for our profit. Our whole life here is a state of childhood, and imperfect as to spiritual things; therefore we must submit to the discipline of such a state. When we come to a perfect state, we shall be fully reconciled to all God's chastisement of us now. God's correction is not condemnation; the chastening may be borne with patience, and greatly promote holiness.

Hebrews 12:7-9 (NLT)
7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn’t discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. 9 Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn’t we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever?

SO......I finish this series with these questions:  Have you submitted to Jesus Christ's authority in your life?  Are you in fact disciplined, orderly, and obedient in your faith and striving to share in His holiness?  Do you consider yourself His child and planning on living forever?  If not, I pray you will evaluate and become disciplined-----like me!  :)  And if you want/need to talk to someone call me---I would love to share with you my testimony of discipline.



Proverbs 1:7 
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Job 5:17 
"Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.
Proverbs 10:17 
He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.
Proverbs 12:1 
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid
2 Timothy 1:7 
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
Hebrews 12:10
Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.
Thanks for listening.  
Love, 
Disciplined Daughter of God

No comments:

Post a Comment